Nov 27, 2010

Review: Tulula: Legend of a Volcano


Type: Adventure, Hidden Object, Puzzle
Platform: PC
Price: USD 6.99 from Big Fish Games

You are the chosen one who has to save your tribe from the evil spirit.

Gameplay
Even though this is a hidden object game, it generally does not follow the format of most hidden object games where you are given a list of objects you have to find in the picture.

You are sent to a variety of locations to find pieces of a magical totem. As you move the mouse over the picture, the cursor will change its icon depending on what action is needed. You have to find out what hidden items you are supposed to look for by clicking on a particular object eg. broken statue, which will then display the shapes of the broken pieces that you need to find to complete it. Some of the pieces might be hidden from view and will need addition actions eg. moving away tree branches to display the piece.

Later on in the game, you will encounter optional goals like going to the spirit realm to assist gods. In between locations, you can also used the money earned to build up the village, which was destroyed.


Thoughts
Tulula is a beautiful game with a distinctive visual style right. Each location is unique and beautifully rendered. I like that the tutorials in the beginning of the game goes step-by-step through everything I need to know. It can feel a little long, especially when I'm itching to get out of the cave and get on with the game. But the pretty graphics distracted me and I often marveled that all the little details.


The game feels like a mixture of point and click adventures with some hidden objects and puzzles thrown in. At each location, I am just presented with an empty inventory and no instructions is given, no even a list of items to find. I am supposed to figure out what needs to be done. So I feel a little lost in the beginning until I found out that I have to click on certain objects to get them to display the parts that needs to be found. The hint button, which is in the shape of a lantern, helps me out a lot and refills pretty quickly so I'm never stuck for long. The game follows a lineal path so I need to follow the script and do A then B before I can do C, even though I already figured out how to solve C.

Verdict ★★★★★
Store page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...