Oct 31, 2010

Review: Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford


Type: Hidden Object, Puzzle
Platform: PC
Price: USD 6.99 from Big Fish Games

With her family facing the danger of financial ruin, Florence Ashford sets off to marry Marquis Henry hoping that he will be able to save her family. However upon arriving at Marquis Henry's estate she finds that he had deceived her family as he will only inherit the wealth upon the birth of his first son. Together with Anthony, the rightful heir, Florence tries to uncover the hidden secrets of the manor.

Gameplay
You progress through the story by finding objects and solving puzzles. You will be told where to go in the story itself or in the info bar at the top. There are also clues in your diary to guide you. If you are stuck, there is a hint button which will recharge itself after a while.


Thoughts
I must confess that I'm a bit of a scaredy cat so it is nice to see that this game takes place in the day and is full of sunshine. Most hidden object games tend to be a little bit spooky and takes place in the night at dark, creepy locations. The graphics are pretty to look at and I enjoyed the golden sunlight that stream in through the open windows. Even the villain of the game is not scary.

The game takes the time to teach you how to play the game and what the various icons mean. It feels like the game is made up of equal parts hidden object and puzzle elements. I can skip the puzzle elements but only if I  cannot solve it after a long, long time. I have not used the skip feature because it takes such a long time to activate and I usually solve the puzzles by trying all possible combinations. But don't worry, the puzzles are not fiendishly difficult.

What I like about the game is that it stops me from going to places where there is no need for me to go. If the clue is in the kitchen and I try to go to the attic, it would tell me that there is no need for me to go to the attic. It saves a lot of wasted time going from place to place, just to look for a particular object.

Verdict ★★★★
Store page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...